"Bottling the Air"

Tue Oct 26 10:35:27 EDT 2010

You guys are right. I've been there and done that!

About the only thing we haven't covered about moving cars without air, I believe. is by use of a push pole. Again, back in the good ole days, every steam locomotive, at least in yard, or local service, carried a push pole. These can be seen in  many photographs as a long pole hanging just under the frame of the tender. They were probably about 6" in diameter, 10' long with cast iron caps on each end.

When a car, perhaps on an adjacent track, neded to be moved, and for whatever reason the engine could not get on the same track, the push pole could be used to move the car.

A trainman would place one end of the pole against the push pole pocket on the corner of the car. Then, as the engine slowly eased up toward the car, the trainman would hold the pole, guiding it into the pocket on the engine. When the engine made contact, the trainman would let go and let the engine push the car however far it needed. When the engine stopped, the car would continue to roll thereby dropping the pole to the ground.

As you can tell, this was a very dangerous opoeration, and eventually outlawed.

Jeff sanders