Pillars of Smoke Question (NW Mailing List)

Mon Oct 18 08:48:45 EDT 2010

While I cannot speak accurately as to how it was handled with steam, I do know that if the air was not turned into the pusher, and the train went into emergency for any reason, the pusher, still working, would probably buckle the train and there would be cars all over the right of way!

Jeff Sanders

Date: Sunday, October 17, 2010, 4:31 PM

"I have seen a jet of steam in front of the stack.  Is this steam coming
from a feedwater heater?"

    Yes, it is an air vent from the feedwater heater.

"When the pusher couples to the rear end of the train, does it also connect
to the air line, or does it only couple on?"

    Yes, normally that is what was done in order that if the train for any
reason had an emergency brake application, the pushers brakes would apply
too.
    The caboose had a rod connected to the angle cock so it it could be
closed. A chain was connected to the cut lever. When cutting off on the fly,
close the angle cock and pull the pin.

Jimmy Lisle

That makes sense for the train.  What about the pusher?  You leave its angle
cock open and it goes into emergency on uncoupling.  I always figured air
wasn't couple to the pusher.  After all engineer would have to shut off
throttle anyway and he'll know if the train air is dumped.

John Marbury