Train Order Boards

Tue Sep 21 09:29:12 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Sep 20, 2010 4:19 pm
Subject: Re: Train Order Boards

To answer the question from Jimmy Lisle last week:
Train order board blades had two end styles; concave for Automatic Block territory and square for Manual Block territory.
Gary Rolih
So Gary, are you trying to say that in the photo in question, that there are both types on the same pole?
Jimmy
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/thumbsSmall/photos/NW04769.jpg

Jimmy:
I'm not sure this is all the answer. Station photos were made during the
USRA's operation of N&W, which ended in 1920. Automatic block didn't
become operational on the Shenandoah Division until 1924 (Vardo-Shenan-
doah). In researching data for a photo for the Classic Calendar several
years ago, it seems that one signal was for train orders and one was for
manual block (don't ask me which). Earliest rule book I have was issued
in 1951. By then, it appears that one semaphore served both purposes.
Harry Bundy