Strassburg 4-8-0

Tue Sep 14 16:59:19 EDT 2010

Depends on what era you're interested in modeling. The single note whistle that 475 usually carries (Strasburg used several different whistles on 475 over the years) is probably similar to the early N&W freight whistle. However, in later operations after WW2 (??), a longer bell single note whistle was used on all N&W freight locomotives. This is the so-called "hooter" whistle, and was originally the N&W's passenger whistle. It's lower pitched and much louder than the one now on 475.

Dave Stephenson