Links color photo

Tue Sep 7 10:21:14 EDT 2010

Hope this helps.

-Jim Herron
Jim,
Those photos were a big help. I thought someone had
mentioned that there wasn't a shanty at Boaz ? The
first photo is in an area known locally as Berkley Bottom
and the property to the right of the railroad is now a
volley ball field. It's possible to drive to the abandoned
Boaz siding without getting on private property.

The second picture ? Well that IS the Bonsack cross-
over with Bridge #90 just beyond. Remember that an
eastbound coal train would have to pull that far to clear
Boaz siding to let the pusher out. The aluminum-colored
building on the left is the signal bungalow, not the detour
shanty. My property lies on the ridge beneath the
eastbound home signal. Just beyond that signal is a
private road crossing. The owner of the adjoining property
off Carson Road won't grant an easement to the railroad
(or to property owners on the south side of the track), so
NS signal maintainers have to take a circuitous route through
a farm on the south side of Glade Creek to do their thing.
Harry Bundy

o change your subscription go to
ttp://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list
rowse the NW-Mailing-List archives at
ttp://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/