Quality of Passenger Service on the N&W

Wed Aug 25 21:56:39 EDT 2010

I rode it from about 1955 to about 1970, at various times, between Lynchburg, Roanoke, Christiansburg, and Bristol. The N&W trains were well maintained, usually on time, and offered dining/lounge amenities of most trains.

The Southern trains that travelled from Lynchburg to Bristol over the N&W were also well maintained and offered similar amenities. But one could safely bet that No. 46 (The Tennessean) would be late more often than on time. And when late, up to an hour and a half or more late. While I am not certain about this, I suspect No. 46 was delivered to the N&W late at Bristol.

Ray Smoot