Heartland Corridor

Thu Aug 19 14:45:01 EDT 2010

Ed,

You bring up a good point, from which you can begin discussion.  I've had the challenge to work on projects that were built in the 1930's.  The 'mindset' of that time was interesting.  Projects were built with no foresight that one day there might be extensive repairs and/or replacement.

What little I have read about the new tunnel projects, some of the tunnels were packed with debris from the original construction.  Instead of hauling the debris out, it was left on site, and another project had to deal with it.  I won't make any bones about it:  I like a clean work site.

For projects I worked, infrastructure was put in place to construct some signficiant tunnels, a bridge, and a water tank.  Once constructed, all of this infrastructure was removed.  Go forward in time 60 years.  The water tank has to be replaced and work done to the bridge.  Now what?  The tram was removed 60 years ago.  So you break out the "sky crane".  Expensive.  It gets the job done.  Leaving the tram in place would have had significant savings through the years.

Anyway, the challenges and discussion dealing with old infrastructure.

Kim

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 12:37:58 PM
Subject: Re: Heartland Corridor

The thing for all you guys to ask yourselves is what you  would do if it was YOUR money.  We have Monday Morning Quarterbacks in all fields who are critical as heck of the people who make financial decisions, but none of these people want to consider what they would do if it was their money.  People tend to be liberal with other people's money, and conservative with their own.

EdKing