Heartland Corridor

Thu Aug 19 10:11:56 EDT 2010

I don’t need numbers to support my position, or defend it.  You don’t have to
agree although I think many of you do.
First of all, I don’t trust anybody that sees only green dollars.  Secondly, is
there anybody out there who thinks that a third-grader with a hammer and chisel
wouldn’t have done a neater, cleaner, more professional job of opening up the
tunnels?  I am not talking about the hardworking people who actually did the
work asked of them.  They were top notch.  I am talking about the directors of
the projects who abandoned their pride in the railroad to save a few dollars.
It was a hatchet job.  Vandalism.  Desecration.
I love Norfolk Southern, N&W and the Virginian—that is why I feel the way I do.
Do they send out stock certificates with ragged edges?  Do any of the executives
live in run-down homes?  If any of them commissioned work on their homes and it
turned out like the tunnel portals, would they revel in how much money they
saved?

Dave, you asked what a semi-bottom line is.  It is my way of saying that it
answers the question “What is the cost now?” and doesn’t take into account,
“what is the long term cost?”  There may be no way of knowing long term cost,
but it should be considered by smart people.  They knew the cost of not opening
the tunnels, after all.

Michael Shockley