Date of Y4 Tender change

Wed Aug 18 16:48:01 EDT 2010

1948 is too early. 1953 would be about right. I can remember seeing the tenders
at east end shops just after they bought them. I was riding home from college on
No. 3 and spotted them as we were coming into Roanoke. That would have to be
sometime between the fall of 1952 and the spring of 1956. So....1953 sounds
about right.    Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Wed, August 18, 2010 2:21:45 PM
Subject: Date of Y4 Tender change

Listers,

This question is prompted from my "Norfolk & Western's Y-Class Articulated Steam
Locomotives" book:

What year were the ex-ACL tenders placed behind the Y4's?
Page 62 says 1948 while pages 63 and 65 say 1953.

Thanks,
Dave Willis
(blt 1962, c/n 4)