John P. Fishwick, Norfolk & Western president, dies

Mon Aug 16 13:41:19 EDT 2010

>From the Trains News Wire:

Published: Tuesday, August 10, 2010
ROANOKE, Va. — John P. Fishwick, the Norfolk & Western president who helped the
railroad negotiate a merger with Southern Railway, died yesterday, the Roanoke
Times has reported. He was 93 years old.

Fishwick was born to immigrant parents. He earned a law degree from Harvard and
joined the railroad as assistant to the general solicitor in 1945 after a stint
in the Navy, then worked his way up to president, attaining the role in 1970.

As president, Fishwick advocated for the promotion of women and minorities. He
also started a treatment program for employees with drinking problems.

Fishwick had a reputation for being a cost-cutter, a product of his Great
Depression upbringing. Fishwick's son, John, a Roanoke attorney, said, "I think
the best thing I could tell you about my dad is that he lived the American
dream. He lived it right up to the end."