Steam on NS

Fri Jul 9 14:28:33 EDT 2010

On Jul 9, 2010, at 8:28 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> NW Mailing List wrote:

>> (snip) I feel fortunate to have seen, filmed, and ridden behind 1218 in action from 1987 to 1994, and don't think it will happen again. (snip)

> Shoot, many of us didn't think it would happen the first time! Keep positive thoughts and think of the ways to raise lots of money!

You're not kidding! I well remember sitting at the Washington DC NRHS Chapter (deeply involved in the 2716, 4501 and 750 steam trips out of Alexandria, VA) around 1983(?) and hearing mention of the first vague rumors that Class A 1218 might be restored to running order....how we chuckled at that one...."It will Never Happen," said the Knowledgable Railfans.

This just goes to prove that one should Never Say Never, unless it's to remind someone to Never Say Never.

I am very grateful indeed to have seen, smelled, heard (at speed, 1218's hooter up close may be the loudest sound I've ever heard/felt), chased and photographed this fine loco. It's a rolling engineering landmark if ever there were one.

We were very lucky indeed, back in those heady days of Southern/N&W Steam trips. Perhaps we'll be lucky in the future.

Brian in Herndon, VA.
Sure do miss working Commissary in the Queen & Crescent Club on those steam trips!