Heartland Corridor

Wed Jul 7 11:20:55 EDT 2010

I wouldn't call it the "center"of the yard. You probably refer to the Grant
Street Bridge, not too far east of the old passenger station. The Belcher Bridge
is a mile or so east of there and served a sawmill and a number of houses around
it (employees?). I used to cross it every weekday delivering the afternoon
newspaper. The "new" scalehouse (c. 1954) was just west of the Belcher
Bridge.      Jim Nichols

________________________________
Sent: Wed, July 7, 2010 8:24:26 AM
Subject: Re: Heartland Corridor

Is that the old steel bridge over the "center" of the yard? When I was there
over Memorial Day, I had planned to get some photos but it was pouring down
rain.

Gene Bowker
The Railroad Examiner

http://genebowker.com/
http://railfan.biz

>Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 7:48 AM

>Subject: Heartland Corridor

>The item below is from the online edition of Railway Track and Structures

>magazine.  I saw the cranes in place at the bridge when I was in Bluefield last

>Saturday.

>Gordon Hamilton

>Belcher Bridge is coming down for NS Corridor

>Tuesday, July 06, 2010

>Norfolk Southern contract crews have set up warning signs, and one of Bluefield,

>W. Va.'s bridges that traverses the NS main line in the city's East End will be

>coming down within the next two weeks

,
the Bluefield Daily Telegraph reports.

>Robin Chapman, NS spokesman said, "the span will come down the week of July 19,"

>although crews are already working to remove the bridge decking material and

>preparing the structure for its removal.

>"There will be a 10-hour outage as crews remove the span," Chapman said. "It's

>not going to affect our traffic."

>The Belcher Bridge, also known as the Hardy Street Bridge, represents the final

>piece in NS's multi-million dollar Heartland Corridor project aimed at removing

>the physical obstacles for double-stacked freight loads on the route from

>Chicago, Ill., to Hampton Roads, Va.

>"We have completed the work we needed to do on Wayne Street to improve access

>for residents living in the East End," Bluefield Mayor Linda Whalen said. "We

>researched the idea before we decided the right way to go on the project. The

>traffic count on that bridge was minimal, and the railroad is giving us

>compensation for the bridge that we can apply to meet the local match to receive

>federal stimulus funds so we can repair the Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge."

Whalen said that the city was fortunate to find a way to get the MLK Jr.,

>Bridge repaired with no out-of-pocket expense for the city.

>"It's really to Andy Merriman's credit," Whalen said. "He was able to work all

>of this out and make this happen."

The Belcher Bridge had been a main access point to the old J.B. Belcher