Takin' 20 with the brethren ....

Sun Jun 20 06:40:17 EDT 2010

Skip:

I have a couple of quasi-similar airline tales from when I used to
travel extensively via commercial airline. One particular memorable
one was when I lived in Hawaii and was flying Aloha Airlines,
returning from some RR historical work on the outer island of Kauai,
at Grove Farm Plantation where they have three operational 30" gauge
steam engines; one a restored 1881 Hohenzolleren wood burner.

As the 737-100 came in for a landing at Honolulu Int'l, we never quite
touched down, and seemed to be riding a pocket of air just above the
ground. This proceeded for several seconds before I heard and felt the
accelerating thrust as we took off (again), and saw parts of
Honolulu's harbors at low altitude I had never seen at such close
proximity before (or since for that matter).

We circled back around and next time, it wasn't so fast of a landing
and we finally touched down. In the 10 minutes which entailed circling
around, I inquire to one of the ever attentive stewardii as to what
that was all about and her response was "local weather condition."

I was both astute enough and observant enough to know that wasn't the
case but was still curious and seated in the front of the plane, that
when we landed, the cockpit door would usually be opened and I, being
the pain in the neck I could be, figured to ask the pilots if they
were practicing their touch and go's.

The smart flight crew astutely didn't open the cockpit door, darnit,
and I exited the plane, but I never forgot the incident. That was
around 1985, when airline things were a whole bunch different, long
before 9-11.

Bob Cohen