More Signals Fall

Tue Jun 15 18:44:46 EDT 2010

The signal gangs are working their way south as part of the pole line
elimination project. I left the construction gangs to be a maintainer
about a year ago, so I'm not sure where exactly they are at with it,
but that pole line is a top priority to get taken down. It is in
terrible shape, and there are no line gangs left to maintain it
anymore.

Get out your cameras! The best way to save them is on film (or a computer).

As for obtaining signals these days? Its not easy, and some of them
are being saved for parts for the remaining ones. There is no
initiative or program at present to replace or retire working N&W
signals that have already been through a pole line elimination
(Bristol Line, Shenandoah Line, Altavista District, etc.) I suspect
we will have N&W signals for several years to come, coming down one by
one here and there as deterioration dictates.

Ben Blevins
Maintaining whats left of the Narrow & Weedy...