N&W ex-Pullman parlor to coach conversions

Mon Jun 14 11:08:41 EDT 2010

The modernized heavyweights were 12-wheeled, class PG. Actually, they were the oldest heavyweights, but many of them were modernized in the 1940's to make them more modern than the newer cars. There were some 8-wheeled heavyweights, built in the '20's, which were newer, but never got reclining seats. The other exception was a series of 10 somewhat heavyweights, built in 1935. They had "turtleback" roofs, reclining seats, etc., but probably not the car you described , since you spoke of photo murals and modern lighting. I think you rode a modernized PG.   Jim Nichols

Sent: Sun, June 13, 2010 10:05:25 PM
Subject: Re: N&W ex-Pullman parlor to coach conversions

Were most of the later(?) N&W heavyweight coaches 12-wheeled?  I remember a trip in such a coach in ''55 or so that had been upgraded with reclining seats, photo murals,modern lighting . . .  The first part of my journey had been in a lightweight coach on the RF&P and i was surprised by how well the N&W coach rode.

pete groom