N&W in 1910--Coal crappers

Sat Jun 5 09:51:48 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Fri, Jun 4, 2010 8:47 pm
Subject: Re: N&W in 1910--Coal crappers

Ok, I've got to ask, exactly what are "coal crappers" guilty of doing and how do they do it?

Chuck Stewart
Bahama, NC

Chuck:
Strictly from what I was told by a Pocahontas Div. supervisor -- I won't vow that
it's correct. Not the "coal crappers", but the mountaineers needing to heat
their homes would tie a bag of rocks to the semaphore arm so that the signal
displayed a "stop" indication. While the train crew complied with the signal
indication, the coal-diggers would throw coal off. Harry Bundy