Why the 611?

Thu Jun 3 16:59:51 EDT 2010

Laura:  My recollection of the events was that NO class J was chosen for preservation. The 611 just happened to be the last J standing when the decision was made (belatedly) to donate it to the Transportation Museum. Remember, no A and no Y6b (and no S1a) was chosen for preservation. Apparantly at that time, management thought that 2156 was enough to represent N&W steam at the St. Louis museum. Later management had a different attitude, but by that time all the Y6b's were scrapped, and the 1218 still existed only because of somebody else's decision to save it.

Jim Nichols

Sent: Thu, June 3, 2010 1:48:03 PM
Subject: Why the 611?

Hi, all,

Just had an inquiry from an N&WHS author/member, asking the musical question: Why was it the 611 that was chosen to be preserved instead of any other Class J?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts/opinions/facts.

Thanks, and see you in Front Royal,
Laura Hughes
Historical Editor, The Arrow
(hughes at nwhs.org)