Norton photography incident

Fri May 28 10:04:34 EDT 2010

Possibility taking pictures of railroad employees doing things that would be compromising if viewed by their management could well have driven the yardmaster's actions (such as a safety rules violation or not performing an evolution per required process). When I lived in Ohio during the 70's I very much became an insider at Brewster with the N&W shops folks and on PC/EL/Conrail with tower operators (it was fun working a block tower). There were always things going on that weren't necessarily 100% by the rules (and some things that were totally illegal). I made sure I never photographed these activities if I recognized them as such it helped me secure acceptance by the railroad employees as an insider. With that said, it's not always easy to recognize things that may be out of kilter in a given situation. Sounds like your friend wasn't doing anything illegal or wrong. I wonder what the yardmaster wanted to cover up or maybe he simply got up on the wrong side of the bed that day!

Ed Painter - Narrows, VA currently living in Russellville, AR