Class M #475 info

Mon May 3 18:48:18 EDT 2010

The post 1954 changes owe to the fact that N&W chose 475 to be "backdated" for appearance in anniversary celebrations. As such, it represented an engine much older than it was, but was the best available at that time. The 10k tender was put on by N&W at that time (as well as the high headlight). I seem to remember that they put a wood pilot on it at first, but later gave it the bar pilot. At Strasburg, it appears essentually as it did when N&W retired it, although Strasburg had to do a lot of work to get it is shape mechanically to operate.   Jim Nichols

Sent: Mon, May 3, 2010 4:13:55 PM
Subject: Class M #475 info

Gentlemen,
I am trying to clarify info on M #475. I have a photo from 1932 that shows it with a bar pilot, high headlight and a 10,000 gal tender. I have a photo from 1953 that shows #475 with footboards, centered headlight and 12,000 gal tender. Then I have a photo from 1954 that shows #475 back with a bar pilot. Was this common to swap pilots like this?

Also, #475 now at Strasburg has a 10,000 gal tender. Is this correct for N&W operation or did Strasburg add it?

Thanks

Joe Giannovario