Y6b shrill whistle

Sun May 2 16:49:43 EDT 2010

I have always been intrigued, many times over, by that shrill whistle sound
recorded by Link in "Thunder on Blue Ridge". Now I know it was from the
same "Hooter" whistle on the Y that produced the familiar lower tone.

So, am I correct to presume that the "shrill" note is simply a higher octave
multiple of the familiar fundamental frequency?

On this topic, back in January I was watching an old Tom & Jerry short and
was quite surprised and delighted to immediately recognize what I believe to
be a short sample of this same Link recording! After reading the postings
in this thread, I listened to it on my "Thunder on Blue Ridge" CD and
re-watched the cartoon, which I saved on my DVR. Sure enough to my ear,
it's the same sound sample, though the sound quality is much better on the
CD.

On "Thunder on Blue Ridge", you'll find the whistle blast transitioning from
the normal tone to the shrill tone at about 6:45 into Track 6. About 5 sec
of this is used as a sound effect in the 1961 (produced in 1960) Tom & Jerry
cartoon titled "Switchin' Kitten", which I found on YouTube at the link
below; the whistle blast sequence is at about 6:15 into the cartoon. Check
it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbbuiaqrqY

David Rice