Y6b shrill whistle

Thu Apr 29 15:29:04 EDT 2010

Mike, you must be too young to have heard the real thing. N&W's mallets
had unique high whistles that echoed up and down the valleys through which
the N&W ran. They were a beautiful contrast to the deep chime whistles of
Class J and K passenger locomotives.

As I grew up, seventy and eighty years ago, I would lie awake at night
listening to the long-drawn-out whistles from freight trains running up and
down the Scioto River valley in southern Ohio. N&W's whistles - freight
and passenger - were different yet from those of the B&O that crossed the
N&W in my home town of Chillicothe, Ohio.

Bob McKell