N&W Class J's and Lynchburg, VA

Wed Mar 10 13:19:28 EST 2010

I have been told that after steam was gone on the Southern, there wasn't any coal or water at Monroe. The J's used Roanoke, Vicker and Bristol for coal after that on the run between Monroe and Bristol.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 12:25 PM
Subject: Re: N&W Class J's and Lynchburg, VA

I think we're ignoring the fact that the J, after being coaled at Bristol, could run to Monroe and back to Roanoke for coal. The J's carried 35 tons of coal, which, on the west end, allowed a train to take coal at Prichard, run to Cincinnati, lay over at Cincinnati and run back to Prichard for coal - that's 326 miles. It's 209 miles from Bristol to Monroe and about another 50 back to Roanoke. I don't think the J's ever got coaled at Monroe, and if they got water at the station stop at Roanoke, might not have needed water there. After all, if they were getting short on the way back they could always take a few feet at Villamont. And it's only about 35 more miles to Vicker; that's still less than 300 miles for coal, if the necessity arose. All the J needed at Monroe was a spin on the turntable.

EdKing