N&W 611 Headlight

Sun Feb 21 23:13:07 EST 2010

Okay, but my point is that 611's history did not end with her first
retirement. Displaying her in her excursion career appearance is just as
correct as her as delivered appearance. Which is why I have no problem with
them putting in an original headlight, just so long as they keep the twin
seal beam. Switch them around once a decade or so.

I don't believe any original N&W water tenders were preserved. The one in
the museum is one of the ones built for excursion service. So again, should
it be scrapped because it is not from the 1950's, thus making the 1218
display "incorrect"? Was Union Pacific wrong to convert 3985 to burn oil?
If 4449 should ever go on permanent display, would it be wrong to paint her
in Freedom Train colors?

If there was a regular, for lack of a better term, Model T on display, I
would hope it would be in as close to original form as possible. But if
there was a specific Model T that saw some sort of use in the modern era,
perhaps being used in a television show or movie, was used for public
appearances, and it was modified over time specifically for those uses in
the modern era, then I would want it displayed with the modifications,
because it's no longer just any Model T. It is distinctive and should be
remembered as such. If a Pontiac Trans-Am that was used for the television
show "Knight Rider" was put on display, would you remove all of the
modifications that were made for the television show?

611 is not just another N&W J. She is not even just the last surviving J,
not any more. Her 12 years of excursion service have made her something
more. She is 611, THE J, with a unique history that should be remembered in
it's entirety, from 1950-1994.

Marty Flick

Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:36 AM
Subject: Re: N&W 611 Headlight

> Marty

> I don't believe 611 is being displayed with a

> auxiliary water tender. There's one behind the 1218

> which is correct for a Class A in the 50s. The point

> I am trying to get across is the 611 is a machine of

> the 40s and 50s .In a Museum it should be historically

> correct. You would not display a Model T with a Sony

> radio in it would you.

> Larry Evans

>>> Marty