N&W 611 Headlight

Sun Feb 21 00:55:10 EST 2010

Good to know that they kept the twin seal beam. I personally always liked
it, but again, it's what I grew up with. 611's history did not stop with
her retirement in 1959, so the museum and railfan community should be
interested in preserving all aspects of her history, including the
modifications for excursion service. After all, if the excursion years
don't count, we might as well scrap the auxiliary water tender. As for the
reasoning of the twin seal beam, I understand it was so that replacement
light bulbs from any diesel shop could be used, as opposed to specialty ones
kept in Irondale.
If 611 does run again, I don't think we have to worry about ditch lights or
reflective striping; 844, 3985, 765, 261, 4449, and other steam engines that
have seen mainline service in recent years don't have any of that stuff.

Marty Flick

Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 9:02 AM
Subject: Re: N&W 611 Headlight