N&W in 1910--Office building

Tue Jan 26 17:46:39 EST 2010

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Consumption was what they used to call cancer. I would guess the

> "home for consumptives" was a final stage care facitily of some kind.

<snip>

As others have posted, consumption was what tuberculosis (TB) was known
as for a long time.

It was (and still is) a major disease, and the most common form of
death, with apparently more than 80% of the U.S. population infected
before the age of 20 at the beginning of the 20th century. By 1938 there
were more than 700 TB hospitals in the U.S. There are now estimated to
be 8-10 million new cases of TB a year worldwide resulting in around 3
million deaths.

http://www.answers.com/topic/tuberculosis

See also The History of the Tuberculosis

'It is in this larger context that the history of tuberculosis sanatoria
in Virginia unfolds and is best understood. Blue Ridge Sanatorium, for
instance, is representative of many of the early sanatoria in Virginia
and beautifully embodies this complex evolution of theories regarding
tuberculosis.'

http://www.faculty.virginia.edu/blueridgesanatorium/tuberculosis.html

and

"In the early 20th century, Tuberculosis was the leading cause of death
in the Unites States. Southern states were more susceptible to
Tuberculosis due to a high percentage of poverty. In particular,
Virginia had a ranking among the highest in the country. The state of
Virginia tried to alleviate this problem by opening state run sanatoria.
The Catawba Sanatorium was the first to open in Virginia in 1909.
Located near Roanoke, it offered a mountainous landscape and healing
waters. The first sanatorium for the treatment of blacks in the state of
Virginia was opened in 1918 near Burkeville, VA. In 1919, The Virginia
Department of Health opened The Blue Ridge Sanatorium near Charlottesville."

http://www.faculty.virginia.edu/blueridgesanatorium/infirmary.html

From the same source (click on 'Other Virginia Sanatoriums' it appears
that the Catawba Hospital (and then Sanatorium) site was first
established as a springs resort at Roanoke Red Sulphur Springs, 10 miles
from the Virginia and Tenessee Railroads Salem depot.

And from the UK's Medical Research Council

It was estimated that worldwide around 7 million people a year died from
TB at the end of the 19th century.

http://www.mrc.ac.uk/Achievementsimpact/Storiesofimpact/Tuberculosis/index.htm

Dominic
London

--
Please help me support the Pirate Castle at
http://www.justgiving.com/dominicpinto