Steam questions

Wed Nov 11 10:39:01 EST 2009

Nathan,

In addition to what others have furnished on the two types of throttle
levers on N&W steam locos, a few more comments may help.

Older N&W steam locos used the "horizontal" throttle levers, which were
pivoted to the left (toward the fireman) of the vertical centerline of the
boiler and which were pinned to a rod (or stem) that typically passed
through a stuffing box on the boiler backhead on the vertical centerline of
the boiler and above the crown sheet. This rod reached through the boiler
to a bell crank under the steam dome, and the other arm of the bell crank
raised or lowered the throttle valve when the rod from the throttle lever in
the cab moved forward or backwards, respectively. I can think of two
problems with this throttle arrangement. One, the sliding action of the rod
in the stuffing box on the backhead probably caused more wear on the packing
than the rotary action of the shaft in the stuffing box leading to a
dome-mounted throttle operated by the outside throttle linkage (and a
vertical throttle). Two, with the throttle lever in the "off" position,
expansion and contraction of the boiler might be different than the
expansion and contraction of the rod through the boiler raising the throttle
valve just enough to leak steam to the cylinders, which could cause the
locomotive to "walk away." This happened at times. The more modern
arrangement of the outside linkage associated with vertical throttle levers
largely avoided this problem by incorporating a rocker lever mid way between
the throttle lever and the throttle valve to provide compensation for the
expansion and contraction of the boiler.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, November 08, 2009 12:33 AM
Subject: Steam questions