Y6B 2171

Tue Nov 3 08:06:51 EST 2009

This slanted stack discussion reminds me of a small experience that I had the summer of 1956 when I worked at the Shaffers Crossing roundhouse before I was so rudely drafted into the Army for a couple of years. Whenever an eastbound coal train would pull out of the west yard and accelerate up the slight grade leading to the 24th Street underpass with a Y6 leading an A, a lot of the work in the roundhouse would stop momentarily as a number of the men would rush to the open windows to watch the awesome display of power. Sometimes there would be a train standing on the track between the roundhouse and the track on which the coal train was departing, pretty well blocking the view of the eastbound except for the tops of the locomotives. That was when I discovered that the Y6 exhausts were angled forward whereas the A exhausts went straight up. So, without being able to see the locomotives themselves, I could confirm from the exhausts that the Y6 was leading the A.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 1:48 PM
Subject: RE: Y6B 2171

Bud,

Thanks.....You know, after I sent the email I had some second thoughts and wished that I had validated the slanted stack comment before I sent it. Obviously I should have done so. Thanks for correcting my error.

Ed Painter; Narrows, VA currently Russellville, AR