Mail transportation on the N&W Tug Fork Branch

Sun Nov 1 11:31:19 EST 2009

I am not aware of any dedicated local freight service on the Tug Fork Branch
or other branch lines in McDowell County. I think there was local freight
on the Dry Fork Branch that ran between Iaeger and Cedar Bluff, but I would
have to check through notes to confirm that.

While there was no local freight there was a lot of freight traffic that was
normally delivered when the mine runs brought in empty coal cars to the
outlying operations. Examples of local freight would be mine timbers, mine
equipment, mules and other livestock, livestock feed, lubricants, sand,
company store supplies, construction supplies, etc. Most company stores had
a railroad siding.

Mainline trains would haul the freight cars to the servicing yard such as
Wilcoe, Auvil, and Eckman and the freight would be dispatched from these
yards to the mining operations. The volume of freight traffic probably
dropped off after the mid-1920s as the state and county road was
constructed.

After March 3, 1924 the early mail to Gary was delivered by truck from Welch
because the mail on train No. 4 was delayed because the Gary train waited
until train No. 15 left Welch. United States Coal & Coke that ran the 12
operations in Gary at the time insisted on an earlier delivery because most
of their mail came from the west. If they waited on train mail delivery
they couldn't get answers off until the following day. The post office
accommodated the company by the one-way truck delivery.

Most supplies and equipment to construct the mining operations were hauled
over mountains and down streams by horse/mule pulled wagons. In some cases
postal roads had been constructed such as along the Tug Fork. The road came
across the mountain from Tazewell, down the South Fork towards present day
Black Wolf, along the Tug Fork through present day Gary, Wilcoe, Havaco and
on down to Welch to Browns Creek where it continued to Oceana in Wyoming
County. The road, constructed btween 1851 and 1855, was known as the Abbs
Valley and Tug Road Turnpike.

There was also a wagon road from Tazewell up the Dry Fork to Iaeger.
Letters from George Wolfe, first superintendent at Berwind, indicates
supplies to construct the mining operation were hauled in from Tazewell.

A lumber railroad was constructed down the Clear Fork so the old right of
way could have been used to haul supplies to construct Coalwood.

Once the railroad was constructed up Simmons Creek (or even before) it would
be relatively easy to haul materials over the mountain into Maybeury and
down the Elkhorn Creek Valley.

Early history of Pocahontas indicates supplies and material was hauled to
the site from Saltville and Whyteville.

Since most of the structures were wooden the first thing hauled in was
probably a portable boiler to power a sawmill along with axes and saws.
Coal Mining was based on black powder, picks, shovels and labor and could be
supplied by pack horse. Coke ovens were probaly built after the railroad
could bring in fire brick.

Railroads could also be built relatively quickly in a few months to reach
the new operation once branch lines started being put in.

Alex Schust