Y6B 2171

Thu Oct 29 09:38:09 EDT 2009

Just a minor correct and some addition to Bud's excellent report. The
two locomotive, 2143 and 2174 were at United Iron and Metal, not
Virginia Scrap Iron and Metal. United had been sold sometime in 1975
to British interests, I am guessing as part of some larger deal, and
their main mission was clear, scrap everything on site, and close the
business, which was completed sometime in 1976. United had also kept
2189 on the property fairly late, cutting it up sometime about 1967,
I remember seeing it, and I have a photo of it in decrepit shape. I
don't believe that 2171 lasted very long, scrap steel had a fairly
high value in 1960-1962, I wish I could find some historic data on
scrap pricing, anyone with suggestions of a internet source?

At least one piece of 2171 survives for certain, the number plate has
been sitting on my mantle for over 20 years now.

I believe that the pilot from 2174 is the one on display placed along
Roanoke's Railwalk.

The 2143 and 2174 had been stored for sometime at Shaffers Crossing,
on the dead line east of the roundhouse, I remember begin taken up
there about 1969 and taking snapshots of them sitting there. Sometime
about 1970 or so, N&W told United they would have to get them out of
there, and moved them to the scrap yard. I don't have any of my
references with me, but I am fairly certain they had been sold in
1960 or 1961.

I think on the same roll of film, I had a shot of the Virginian
Narrows power house in excellent afternoon light. I had made my
father stop and let me take the photo on our way back from a family
vacation. I said "let me get a picture, you never know when they are
going to tear something like that down." His response was, "oh, they
are not going to tear that down, it is too much trouble." but he
stopped anyway. Less than a year later, the place was gone. Lesson
to be learned, always take photos, you never truly know when
something will be gone the next time.

Best
Ken Miller