Y6B 2171

Wed Oct 28 16:53:19 EDT 2009

I know that there was one Y class still in a scrap yard across the diamond from JK tower where Helm's stone yard is now (or was until recently) into the late 1960's. Might that have been the 2171? I've heard that many efforts were made to save it but that the owner of the business, who, I believe was an absentee owner in Britain, was hostile to any suggestions that it be saved.

Sam Putney

Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:11 PM
Subject: Y6B 2171

The Y6b roster on page 118 of the N&W Class Y book from TLC Publishing shows that engine #2171 was not scrapped until May of 1970. Why was this the last Y6b to be cut-up? Were there any efforts made to save her? I always thought that all Y6b's were scrapped by the 1960's.

Jeff Morfit