Steam Locomotive Operating Manuals

Mon Oct 26 18:19:01 EDT 2009

Wildwood Publications reprinted the ICS stuff
in four hardback volumes in 1979

Larry Evans

Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 3:27 PM
Subject: Steam Locomotive Operating Manuals

I, for one, cannot recall seeing any railroad specific operating
manuals for steam engines, per se. What I have seen and do see at
shows and the like are ICS manuals, fireman's questions, plus various
catechisms published over the years by a number of originators.
Forney's is one name which comes to mind and another similar one was
"The Locomotive Up To Date" starting in I think the late 1890's and
being reprinted and updated by the publisher over the next 3 decades.
The most recently dated one of those I have seen is 1927. The
Locomotive Up To Date was recently reprinted and I am sure you can
find it either at a big train show like Gaithersburg, MD this coming
weekend or perhaps even on-line. The originals are potentially
fragile, hence the desire to preserve them and wear out the reprint.

These two I have named provide probably everything one would need to
know for the era about firing, operating, braking as well as breakdown
and repairs. You want to know about valve gear and valve events; they
have it. You want to know about the new airbrakes (remember the early
dates of these things), they have that. Backhead pressure .... I think
we get the picture. They have it all. I am sure there are more more
recently published ones of the same concept and perhaps one of our
other corespondents here can assist in that area. But I do not recall
seeing any specifically dedicated to one railroad for unlike today
when it's kind of one size fits all, you specified exactly what you
wanted from your lot of engines and the manufacturer of the day gave
you a specific price based upon the quantity ordered and the specs
required.

Bob Cohen