N&W in 1910--Mail robbery -- great names and movies -- PLUSDeadBodies on the N&W Main Line In MAC Dowell County, WV!!

Mon Oct 19 00:08:58 EDT 2009

Yeah, Harry. My roommate at Tech brought something back to school after a Friday night at Cinder Bottom. And he said it was most uncomfortable. I guess his hostess was overdue for her checkup!

Sam
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:10 AM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1910--Mail robbery -- great names and movies -- PLUSDeadBodies on the N&W Main Line In MAC Dowell County, WV!!

heard the body count would go after pay day at the mines when the poor miners would go in town get drunk and get robbed. Kind of like the mugging gangs that preyed on tipsy sailors in port cities.

Sam

-- The poor man was probably the bad loser of a poker game --

Drunk ? Poker games ? How about Keystone's main attraction,
Cinder Bottom ? One N&W employee who owned a service station
in Keystone once told me that those providing service were just like
locomotives -- the West Virginia Health Department required that they
be inspected (at Welch) every 90 days. (Actually a locomotive can go
93 days between federally-mandated inspecions). Harry Bundy