Fwd: [NSPittsburghDivision] Norfolk Southern unveils experimental electric locomotive

Mon Oct 5 08:35:08 EDT 2009

This is in response to the question about NS 999, which someone posted a
photo of late last week.

Bruce in Blacksburg

Date: Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM
Subject: [NSPittsburghDivision] Norfolk Southern unveils experimental
electric locomotive
To: NSPittsburghDivision at yahoogroups.com

Norfolk Southern unveils experimental electric locomotive

ALTOONA, PA. ? With U.S. Dept. of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and
Congressman Bill Shuster in attendance, Norfolk Southern today unveiled the
latest in alternative energy locomotive technology at its Juniata
Locomotive Shop in Altoona, Pa. NS 999 is a prototype 1,500-horsepower
switching locomotive that relies solely on rechargeable batteries for power.

"At Norfolk Southern we strongly subscribe to the view that sustainability
and reducing our carbon footprint are solid business objectives that also
provide enormous benefits to the communities we serve," said CEO Wick
Moorman. "By utilizing regenerated kinetic energy of the train and with no
diesel exhaust emissions, NS 999 achieves those goals. This prototype
locomotive was developed by Norfolk Southern, with the help of an
incredibly creative partnership, including the U.S. Dept. of Energy, the
Federal Railroad Administration, and The Pennsylvania State University, for
which we are grateful. We must also recognize Congressman Bill Shuster, as
without his active interest and participation in this project NS 999 would
still be merely a concept."

"Today, the transportation sector currently accounts for just under a third
of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, more than half of nitrogen oxide
emissions, and almost three-quarters of our petroleum consumption. We need
to change that," said Secretary LaHood. "By working together to develop
alternative energy sources and innovative technologies like this electric
locomotive, we will make transportation more sustainable and energy-efficient."

"Historically, Pennsylvania has had a tremendous history in railroading,
and it remains my belief that our state can still have a bright future in
rail if we take advantage of dynamic partnerships between the private and
public sectors like the one that produced this locomotive," said
Congressman Bill Shuster, the Ranking Republican on the Railroads
Subcommittee. "What Norfolk Southern and Penn State are doing with Congress
and Secretary LaHood's support is truly significant and will help usher in
a new generation of green locomotives fueled by American ingenuity. Let's
not forget about the great work done by the Juniata Locomotive Shop
employees who did a superior job producing this engine. I am proud to have
worked to secure funding for this project, and I look forward to seeing it
working the rail lines soon."

Congressman Shuster secured $1.3 million in federal funding for the NS 999
project.

NS 999 is an entirely electric locomotive that uses a lead-acid energy
storage system comprised of 1,080 12-volt batteries to operate in railroad
switching applications without the use of a diesel engine and with zero
exhaust emissions. The plug-in locomotive also can regenerate dynamic
braking energy through a system provided by Brookville Equipment Company.
The recovered dynamic braking energy continually replenishes the energy
storage system, and uses this recovered energy for tractive effort in rail
operations. The batteries are carefully monitored and controlled through an
elaborate battery management system to assure safety and maximum battery
life, and when fully charged NS 999 is able to operate three shifts before
recharging is required.