J #604 builders plate

Sat Sep 19 21:34:34 EDT 2009

Interestingly enough, a 604 builders plate is on ebay right now as
well. I am somewhat suspicious of that one, I cannot see any kind of
marks on the back from the boiler straps. But that may just be a lack
of quality photos.

Builders plates are a complex subject, and there are generally a lot
more fakes than real ones out there. The J plates are one of the
hardest and most expensive to get, I suspect most if not all were
saved. I also have reason to believe that the plates of the 600 in
October 1941 had multiple copies made at the time and given to folks
close to the project, in addition to the reproductions made in the
last 20 or so years.

Good luck

Ken Miller