FW: Concord-Forest

Tue Sep 15 16:11:37 EDT 2009

Hi N&WHS,
I just got this nice email from one of the founding officers of the
Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS, Mr. Gene Campbell. Gene is also a very well
respected photographer here in the Lynchburg area. Gene's retired now but
still attends our BRC, NRHS meetings regularly. I want to thank the man who
asked the original "Concord-Lynchburg" question! He sure woke up the
hibernating railfans here in Lynchburg! Ha! I've enjoyed reading the
comments. That's why they call our groups railroad historical societies
isn't it?
Take care,
Norris Deyerle
National Director
Blue Ridge Chapter, NRHS

Subject: Re: Concord-Forest

Norris, What I am going to say comes from a brain that aches most of the
time and is QUITE old. In the 40's I worked at Phoebe and Forest. Phoebe
was an arm strong plant.West bd left Phoebe and came by Concord and on in
to Island and the Forest A Mr. Cross was the agent at Concord. Every day
there was East a "turn around train" which came by Forest and at Phoebe
would drop off cars for the East and turn around and come west and pick up
Island and then head to Roke. I think I have this correctThere are tracks
on old line from west of Langhorne Rd overpass on west to Forest. A local
services the two cement plants and Frito Lay. Maybe others. Clay and Ito
Siding I believe were flag stops. East bd app Forest heading downtown were
routed on to middle track and then about the station were rted on down the
old line.Forest was an interesting place( and I didn't own a camera) Powder
trains and troop trains coming east and troop and freight going west. I
remember one day going to work at Forest and there were 8 trains on the
board. And you better not slow one down or you were in trouble.I'm pretty
sure all of this is true. All aboard! Wish I hadn't gotten sick and had a
camera, What a show I could put on.

GENE