Lettering color on early steam

Fri Sep 11 10:22:04 EDT 2009

I have copies of PRR locomotive painting diagrams, and I'm certain that
road lettered steam in gold leaf until a certain date.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:20 PM
Subject: Re: Lettering color on early steam

Gary

"This was not used on locomotives"

What do you base this statement on? I do not have any first hand
knowledge about Locomotive lettering with gold leaf. But I do know for fact
the N&W and C&O used real gold leaf in passenger applications. And would
think it would be in the realm of possibility that in the day they may have
use it on passenger locomotives as the drawing suggest.

Larry