Lettering color on early steam

Wed Sep 9 17:50:00 EDT 2009

Strictly speaking gold leaf is gold beaten extensively between two sheets of
leather so that it forms an extremely thin sheet, about 0.001" thick and
thinner. Gold is a very soft, plastic metal in pure form. This thin sheet
would be cut up adhesively applied to jewelry and furniture. This
technology goes back centuries. This was not used on locomotives. Too
expensive.

Gold leaf paint is paint that has actual 'ground-up' powder of actual gold
metal in it as the pigment. Thus, it is costly.

"Gold" paint today has some other ground up mineral as the powder that
mimics the color and reflectivity of gold (Au) but doesn't cost that much.
Iron Pyrite (all that glitters is not gold) used to be part of the pigment
but that too became too costly.

DULUX gold paint is a yellow pigmented paint that is not based on a metallic
pigment. But, it looks gold-like. Cheaper.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____