Automatic Train Control

Tue Sep 8 09:56:23 EDT 2009

Frank-

Without going to my ACL timetables, I'm not sure whether ACL

was equipped for Automatic Train Control or Automatic Train

Stop.? There are minor differences in the two systems.? Some-

time after N&W's application, the ATC system was modified.?

Apparently the engines assigned to the "short runs" and the

Cannonball- Broad Street Station (Richmond) to Petersburg over

the ACL would not integrate with the system on the Shenandoah Division.

In the final days of steam, N&W had streamlined K's equipped for

ACL service - Nos. 121-122-123.? Strictly from memory, it was GP9 503

that was equipped during diesel days.? There was a test track near

Appomattox Station in Petersburg for ACL's system.? Remember,

the K's didn't go to Acca for service during the layover in Richmond, so

Petersburg had to test for signals.

The maximum authorized speed for diesel-powered ACL passenger

trains (in ATC or ATS) territory was 90 MPH.? In the final days of

ACL Nos. 87/88 (The all pullman Florida Special), I plunked down

the premium?fare and bought a seat in a roomette Richmond-

Rocky Mount just to see what kind of show ACL would put on.

In the midst?of a snow storm,? the signal system failed? and No. 87

moved signal-to-signal at restricted speed.? The conductor noted

that if I'd been on a merry-go-round, I'd have to pay extra for the

ride time.????????????????? Harry Bundy