Hooter Questions

Sat Aug 29 13:15:22 EDT 2009

Nathan,

I believe 475 has the "old" N&W freight whistle installed (or something very similar judging from the size). The final freight whistle was considerably longer.

I've also noticed the difference in sound between an A and Y6 on Hooters.  However, I believe it's restricted to one sound track.  Sequence at 48:56 has this contrast with 2177 and 1242 and from the looks of the synch between movie and audio, this is a live soundtrack with the movie.  However, there's a similar movie sequence at 19:17 that seems to use exactly the same soundtrack, but with no steam coming from either whistle.  It also has a different sound for the A, but I believe this is only one sound sample used twice.

Link made some extensive on train recordings with 1238 and it exhibited the same edgy or "razzy" sound, so it's not unique.

I don't know what causes this because as you note, it's the same whistle with the same BP.  Did some A's have steel whistles vs brass for others? That's about the only thing I can think of.

Dave Stephenson