N&W--Kiser station

Wed Aug 26 20:57:35 EDT 2009

A couple of articles from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph on the N&W's Clinch Valley line have mentioned a station on that line named "Kiser," and I have commented that Kiser became present-day Carbo. Louis Newton told me that the change was made because the name Kiser sounded too much like the German Kaiser of WW I.

A check of N&W Pocahontas division operating timetables in the NWHS Archives reveals that Kiser last appeared in TT No. 10 eff. 5/25/19 and that Carbo first appeared in TT No. 13 (11 and 12 omitted) eff. 5/30/20. Although the war was over in 1919, apparently the bad connotation persisted and caused the name change.

Gordon Hamilton