View from a tower?

Sun Jul 19 08:02:45 EDT 2009

I would guess that the photo was taken from a bridge, rather than an
interlocking tower. The telephone lines appear to go directly beneath
the photographer, which would indicate either that they terminate at a
building wall, or pass beneath whatever he is standing on. The presence
of a pole at the very bottom of the frame argues against the former.
Also, I see no evidence of signals, switches, or anything else
associated with an interlocking installation.

What intrigues me is the difference between the three tracks. Notice
that the middle track is buried up to the tops of the ties with a fine
black material, and that the rails are nowhere near as heavy or as
polished at the outer two tracks. Is it possible that this is a section
of double track, with a siding/passing track in the middle?

Kenneth Rickman