seeking information on engineer and his engines

Tue Jul 7 10:26:36 EDT 2009

Unfortunately, pretty much the same answer. I'd suspect most of the
older union records would have gone the way of the trash after they
were of any use to the union. With the privacy act that Gary
mentioned, everyone is under the same general rules. I know a bunch
of N&W employee records were tossed in the 1970s. Luckily for me, one
of the people doing the tossing recognized my father's father name on
a file, and knew my father, and asked if he wanted the file before it
was tossed. That was lucky, as my grandfather had lost a leg about
1909, and was last employed as a Crossing Watchman in the 1930s
before passing away in 1943. So his record was closed for at least 30
years when it was to be tossed.

I strongly suspect local union records are deleted fairly quickly due
to lack of storage spaces, as most of the union offices are rented
space, and primarily small.

One inquiry rail historians always seem to get is "my (insert
relative here) worked for the railroad, can you tell me anything
about his service?" It is rare anyone can provide an answer of much
value on the question, unless by some tiny chance they had a mention
in the N&W magazine, or a seniority list. For years, the N&W Magazine
published "The Innumerable Caravan" which was a list of employees or
former employees who had passed away in recent months, these listings
usually included an address, their last job and the date of passing.

As Gary also said, the only hope might be some paperwork your family
may have. For union stuff, a pay stub might list a member number,
union card, correspondence might offer some clues. You are very lucky
when you have a time book for a trainman, however, more often than
not, I've discovered that many of them did not keep as detailed
notes, engine numbers, cars as we'd like. My father, again, was a
record keeper, I have all his timebooks from date of hire in 1948 to
retirement in 1981. He kept amazingly detailed notes about engine
numbers, engineer name, conductor name, number of cars, loads or
empties. He even noted in the steam era when a canteen was used. Many
others I've seen have only a date and time, and precious little else.
I've got some from the Shenandoah Division from the 1920s that a
jewels of detail, except it was when the locomotives were assigned,
so it was virtually the same locomotive day in and day out.

Good luck

Ken Miller