seeking information on engineer and his engines

Sun Jul 5 19:31:17 EDT 2009

I am starting a detailed geneology record of my great-grandfater, and he was an engineer for the N&W. His name was James Cecil Neff. I am seeking information on how to search for his employment records, and some history on the lines and engines that he worked on. Also is there a way to find if he was the topic of any articles in the N&W magazine or any other of the companies documentation. He lived in Rural Retreat, Va, Kenova, WV, and Portsmouth, OH. I have some pass cards and engineer cards dated between 1905-1919. He died in 1921. He served at the Kenova sub-division during those times.

His picture did appear in a N&W magazine in July 1953(page 392).

I have two photographs that show the engine numbers he worked on. They were 1136 and 1447.

Any information about him, his engines, or how to find this information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Neff