Something the N&W would do - steam loco bells on Diesels, plus

Thu Jul 2 16:04:08 EDT 2009

Two basic differences in bells- swinging mount or fixed. Early steam
locomotives had a bell, usually bronze, mounted to a frame and cradle that
required the bell to be swung by the bell rope to sound. Later steam had a
fixed bell with an air power ringer that swung the clapper internal to the
bell. This allowed the crew to flip a switch or turn on an air valve that
would sound the bell continuously until shut off.

Bronze is expensive relative to steel, so bronze bells tended to not be used
in WWII and later, steam or diesel. Casting steel was a later development,
too. Both trends sort of come together in the 1940's leaving steel bells as
the more popular type.

Yeah, there were air powered bell swingers, too, that were to be retrofitted
on old locomotives.

Gary Rolih