1860's Boxcar

Sun Jun 14 22:50:02 EDT 2009

Daniel,

I'll be pleasantly surprised if anyone can come up with a photo of the interior of a 1860's box car. Matthew Brady took pictures during the Civil War that showed freight cars, however. As a poor substitute to a photograph, I am enclosing a scan of a drawing of a 1864 box car from John H. White, Jr's The American Railroad Freight Car. Each view is a half section, meaning that half of each elevation view shows the exterior and the other half shows the interior. The plan view shows the roof, the floor and the underframe.

A freight car of that era would have had no automatic couplers, no air brakes and would have had a wooden body and a mostly wood underframe. All of which bode against any of those cars surviving much into the Twentieth Century.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:48 PM
Subject: Fw: 1860's Boxcar

Would anyone be able to send me some photograph's of what the inside of an 1860's Boxcar might look like?

Do you have any boxcar's from around this period at VMT? Would you be willing to send me a couple of photographs of the exterior?

Daniel Dixon
Vice President
C.L. Lewis & Company, Inc.
P.O. Box 10728