branch line equipment

Wed Apr 29 23:02:24 EDT 2009

Notes on the Ms:

421 and 396 both wound up at Bristol. The 421 was maybe the last M on the
roster still with Stephenson Valve Gear. The 396 was not superheated (the
439 was) and was used occasionally on the Abingdon Branch, where it was
heartily disliked. The 439 was at Bluefield when I saw it, don't remember
the date.

By the time the 421 got to Bristol it had slipped a back-up eccentric, and
when pulling backwards only had three exhausts: chuff chuff chuff -----
chuff chuff chuff ----- chuff chuff chuff ----- . . . Don't remember which
side was lame.

Ed King