the Clarke County Historical Assoc's new museum

Sun Apr 12 16:51:37 EDT 2009

Re: the Clarke County Historical Assoc's new museum
Friday, April 10, 2009 8:52 AM
From: "radford" <radford at hughes.net>\
To: f_scheer at yahoo.com

Hi Frank,

One more query for the Clarke County Historical Assoc's museum, if you can be patient with me.

We are placing a RR crossing sign in with the objects.  Do you have a picture of what a crossing sign would have looked like in the late 1800's/early 1900's?  Or, could you refer me to a good source for a picture? I doubt we can locate the real thing, but we can reproduce a graphic image.

Best,
Jane Radford

Jane Radford
Exhibit Planner
Cultural Communications, Inc.
2008 Morgans Mill Rd
Bluemont, VA 20135
540/955-3822
radford at hughes.net

April 12, 2009

Good morning, Jane:

I haven't seen a good, clear photo of a grade crossing of the N&W within Clarke County circa 1900. However, the N&W foundry at Roanoke produced most cast iron signs that were used system-wide. By copy of this message, I'll ask members of the N&W Historical Society if someone has seen a good picture of a grade crossing from the pre-WWI era.

Best wishes and good luck with the exhibit development,

Frank