C. W. Irvin grandfather or relative of C. M. Irvin?

Sun Mar 1 10:40:08 EST 2009

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:25:17 -0500
Subject: N&W in 1909--Master Mechanic

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
April 14, 1909

ROANOKE'S LOSS IS BLUEFIELD'S GAIN
------
J. J. Barry, New Master Mechanic Here, Presented With Diamond Ring by Friends in Magic City

Editor Daily Telegraph:
If you will permit me space in your daily I wish to communicate the following for the consideration of your many readers:
J. J. Barry, late general foreman of the West Roanoke shops of the Norfolk and Western and later promoted to master mechanic of the same road, with headquarters in your city, was met at the Roanoke station Saturday night on the arrival of No. 2 from Bluefield by a committee composed of J. C. Clark, passenger engineer, Shenandoah Valley division, and M. J. Fowler and J. E. Gerald, Radford division, and others and escorted to the Elks' Home, where many friends of Mr. Barry were in waiting. At 9:30 p. m. the committee presented to Mr. Barry a beautiful diamond ring, costing $175.00 [c. $3770 today per the Consumer Price Index]. Mr. Barry, with a feeling of much gratitude, made a beautiful talk to the men who had learned to love him. He was followed by the Hon. Mont Junkin, terminal train master at Roanoke. Mr. Shaffner, general foreman, late from your city, made a good talk, followed by C. W. Irvin, road foreman of engines, Radford division, and
John N. Clare, road forem
an of engines, Shenandoah Valley division. Refreshments were served to the full satisfaction of all present.
In this Roanoke has lost a good man, a proficient and up-to-date railroad foreman, while Bluefield and the Pocahontas division men have much to be proud of, for he comes to them as master mechanic and as one that knows what the word master mechanic means. He is loyal to his company and a friend to his employees and by the co-operation of all, results will speedily follow. Yours for promotion, through merit.
COMMITTEE
------
Gordon Hamilton

Thanks for the transcription, Gordon. I wonder if C. W. Irvin, RFE on the Radford Division, was grandfather or relative of C. M. Irvin? Mike Irvin was Assistant Superintendent at Decatur when I was there in 1975.

Good morning,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com