Jim Nichols: Photo of Tennessean , May/June '98 Arrow

Sun Feb 1 18:13:56 EST 2009

Thanks Jim,
I was hoping you had a copy of the 8x10 you mentioned in the article. What happened to Tom's photos and model collection?
These cars were later shadowlined. There is a photo of the Knickerbocker with shadowlining which was one of the cars used. In addition, there is a '49 shop drawing that shows how it was to be done, indicating that the shadowlining did not occur until after that date. Branchline did a model of the Knickerbocker several years ago. Although it's not totally correct according to the shop drawing, it's a good representation. The car is not a typical 12-1 sleeper looking at the window arrangement. Also interesting is the coach in the middle of the train which evidently became fairly typical in the consist.
Don Yelverton