Coopers to Ruth

Tue Jan 6 20:05:07 EST 2009

I'm trying to pinpoint the exact locations of photographs of the line between Coopers and Ruth prior to the building of the new Elkhorn tunnel. One picture that is commonly available (NS1594 from the VA Tech collection/Cooper p. 77/Prince bottom of p. 257) shows 2512, I belived descending toward Coopers with its train on a wide, sweeping curve to the left. As nearly as I can figure, the photographer was looking West at one of two places. According to the maps I have seen, there were two curves between Coopers and Ruth that might qualify for the location of this picture. The first was just after crossing the bridge over the Bluestone and the second was a little further West at approximately the position of what would be the East portal of the new tunnel. Can anybody tell me which of these locations is correct or if I'm completely off base. Also, it appears that the picture at the bottom of Prince p. 225 showing the 130 under a signal bridge was made from middle of the curve shown in the picture discussed above; can anybody comment. I would also really appreciate pointers to other pictures that folks are aware of showing this area.
Thanks,
Jim Cochran

dcochran116 at roadrunner.com